The past few days I have been thinking a lot about college. It wasn't what I thought it would be. Not to say that I am disappointed with the experience I have had, that's not the case at all. It's just I think I had this idea in my head, this grand scheme where I would walk across a huge campus with buildings that were older than my grandma, and that I would drink coffee in the grand library with my messenger bag and my books about Egyptian Mythology. I figured I would be just like Julia Stiles in The Prince and Me, I would wait tables and eventually hook up with a Danish Prince pretending that he was an American collegian.
But that's not quite how it happened. I joined a sorority and every single club I could get my hands on. I participated in traditions like follies, and cheer and dance, and building a float and spring sing. I lived in the library during finals week. I hung out in the UC while skipping classes and I got drunk with my friends on the weekends.
This weekend I went to OSU's walkaround and realized that the college that I am attending is not the typical school. It's not the American University that we all know and love, and I'm not Jane College. UCO is different. It isn't a college town and we aren't typical college students. But we are. Sometimes I feel like I want to go to grad school just so I can get that experience of waiting tables on the weekends and living in my own apartment, and possibly meeting an incognito Danish Prince. But I don't know. I can't decide.
Malory
No comments:
Post a Comment