(Photos from Here I love healthy-eating, summer tumblrs!)
Last week my parents came up to eat lunch with me and my mom wanted to go to Jimmy's Egg. I immediately was repulsed and asked to go somewhere else for lunch.
6 months ago I would have had creamy biscuits and gravy, pancakes, and a tall glass of chocolate milk sitting in front of me.
It's interesting how my view of food has changed. Okay yes, I haven't gone cold turkey. I still eat Reese's Hearts, goat cheese, Pei Wei, chicken strips, sushi, cinnamon graham crackers, caramel swirl coffee and melted cheese (on everything) but I also eat salad.
Salad with grilled chicken and candied almonds and fresh, watery cucumbers, with sweet, crunchy carrots and rich, creamy avocado. With a fresh apple that's sour, but not too sour and expensive mozzarella. (Because it's worth it). I eat warm, mushy sweet potatoes and pan-seared tilapia. I eat raw, crunchy asparagus and fruit! I eat so much fruit! Nectarines, apples, raspberries, bananas, melons, grapes, strawberries! And then when I go to eat a giant piece of chocolate I think about my food choices that day. Was I smart? Did I indulge? Did I work out that morning? How many miles did I run this week?
I feel that it's all about balance for me. Spiritually, mentally, and physically. I work out in the mornings, sure, but I'm not required to. I listen to my body, and if it says that I need another hour and half of sleep, I usually turn my alarm off and fall right back to it. But most of the time my spirit craves a 3 mile run. It's good for me.
I love the feeling right after a long run. I feel empty, starving, I smell, my legs burn, but I feel strong, skinny, invincible. I feel like I've done something I would have never thought I could- when I started running I could only run 90 seconds.
And when I'm finished with a long cold run I don't want to eat a giant piece of fried chicken (ok so maybe I do sometimes) I want to eat veggies and fruit and peanut butter.
Balance has always been an aspect of my life that I'm bad at. And to tackle this "healthy living" thing head-on- well, I guess that's the only way to do it.
I've noticed so many changes so far- first of all I've lost 17 pounds. But, my skin is clear, my hair is shiny, I feel energized throughout the day, I keep my living space clean and sparse, I don't feel bloated or hungover (mainly because alcohol has been one of my major sacrifices), other people have been noticing, my clothes fit well and I can feel my collarbones (my favorite part of all this)
It makes me feel like I've been let into this secret that no one knows about.
I still have a long way to go - I want to get to the weight on my Driver's License. But to take it one step at a time is the best way. Yes, today I would like to eat a Red Velvet cupcake, but instead I'll have a fresh salad with chicken, avocado, goat cheese....
Mal xoxo








2 comments:
You're absolutely right in saying that one step at a time is the best way. We want things so quickly these days, so we go on crash diets and stop eating anything but carrot sticks for weeks. The problem is that healthy living doesn't work like this. You're doing a great job, and it's awesome to have an example to follow. Thanks. YOLO. Scorpio life. Slytherins. Do you.
Thanks for this! Ugh. I know how you feel, I lived my lifestyle this way over the summer, but since then I have fallen back into my old ways (including gaining back almost all the weight I lost). A cafeteria meal plan doesn't help, but it also can't be my excuse. I definitely needed this reminder and encouragement. Keep up the good work! & thanks :)
Post a Comment