Sunday, February 26, 2012

Half-Marathon Training Week 3

The marathon work-week is almost over! I've had work events four nights out of this week and I've been trying to squeeze in Half Marathon Training, work, sleep, and maybe some personal hygiene in between. I haven't don't laundry in forever - but it's going to have to wait until next weekend when I get access to my parent's washer and dryer. My eating has also suffered :( I've tried to eat healthy but sometimes coffee pancakes for breakfast and lunch is the only thing I want. My body is definitely craving veggies and greens along with some lean meats. (and water! I've had Diet Coke twice this week!) I can't grocery shop until I get paid in the middle of this week (def. a downside of getting paid once a month - there's no money left at the end!) so I'm going to have to hang on until then.

Training went well this week - I skipped one cross training day but I don't think that it will effect me as much as skipping a run would. Here's the breakdown:

Monday: Rest day - I didn't do anything. I came home from work and fell smooth asleep after watching a bit of The Voice. I really take those rest days to heart!

Tuesday: I knew I had plans after work so I ran outside in the morning. I increased my distance and felt like I was running forever! I did a loop in a neighborhood it make it seems like the run was going on forever. But it felt good to get my blood pumping before a long day at work. I really like running in the morning - but it's been so beautiful lately I've wanted to run in the afternoon. I love getting the sun exposure and Vitamin D!


Wednesday: I had a work event that night so I did some cross training at the gym in the morning. I did some weightlifting and strength training along with a long walk on the treadmill. I also weighed myself for the first time since my "gained a pound" fiasco. I've lost one pound. I feel like I should be loosing more but I know I'm building a lot of muscle right now. It's frustrating. But on the upside- I bought jeans in a size smaller this week!


Thursday: Another 3.5 mile run in the morning because I had a work meeting in the evening. My pace has been pretty predictable. Usually around 12-13 minute miles. Sometimes I get tripped up because I have to stop at stoplights. I think that decreases my time. I'm going to start running in the park more so I can get a more accurate time.

Friday: Rest day. Yoga early again in the morning with Cyndi. I was frustrated with having to wake up early but I was happy I went once I got started. I literally yelled when my alarm clock went off.  I feel like this week I haven't gotten enough sleep! I can never get enough rest.

Saturday: I had to work Saturday morning and afternoon and after work I decided that I would run my 5 miles for the week that evening with my co-worker, Valerie. I'm always hesitant to run with other people because I don't want to slow them down if they want a particular pace or time. I never want to be a hindrance to anyone else's training. Val is training for the full marathon.  She took me to Mitch Park in Edmond which if anyone has been to is very very hilly. It was also so windy that afternoon. True blue Oklahoma wind that kicks the dust up all around you. Val got out of the car and said "Yeah, this is going to suck."

I hadn't even run 5 miles at one time before. I've ran/walked up to 4.5 miles but I was nervous this week because I didn't run the 4 miles on my schedule last week (only did 3 and didn't even run the whole time), and considering the wind and hills I didn't know if I was going to make it. To my surprise the first mile we ran in 10 minutes! I've never been at that pace. But then the hills kicked in and we were running against the wind. It was rough. I stopped twice the first 2.5 miles to walk and then the last 2.5 Val said we were going to run the whole time. And we did! I may have yelled some obscenities into the wind but when I finished I was thankful we ran together and that she pushed me. I think another reason I like to run alone is that I can stop whenever I want to, but sometimes you need to have that person there telling you to just do it! We ran the 5 miles in just over an hour! My last 4 mile time was 50 minutes so I've gotten considerably faster. Plus I looooove seeing that I burned almost 700 calories in an hour. My mind starts racing and wondering what I can eat. I ended up going to Norman that night and I stopped at Jamba Juice for a small smoothie. Hey, I needed something to reward myself ;)

I'm oddly excited to get to the point where I'm running 5 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays - I felt amazing after. Plus burning that many calories in that short of a time will be great!


Sunday: Since I did my long run on Saturday I was supposed to cross train for 40 minutes on Sunday. I didn't end up doing it :( But I guess that's okay. I was in Norman and then I had to come back for ANOTHER work event. So in lieu of a long walk I took a nap. I needed my energy! 

I thought this week was going to be hard squeezing all of the training in, but I think it will be harder in this upcoming week when I'm trying to catch up on sleep and chores around my apartment. Although it won't hurt that it's going to be gorgeous outside! All of those early morning chilly runs will be worth it when I can run in 70 degree temps. I can't wait for the bulk of spring to come and run in a tank and shorts. Love it! 

Here's to week 4! 

Mal xoxo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...