After work on Friday I saw Jessica for a bit and gave her a cupcake (I ended up taking cupcakes to my landlords, Tonya's house, people at work and eventually my parents. I cannot live in a house where there are 24 red velvet cupcakes it just cannot be done) and the Sarah came to my apartment because we had dinner plans. We ended up wanting to get drinks before dinner so we made our way to JJ's alley in Oklahoma City, which is a little hole in the wall bar but it has cheap drinks and a cozy atmosphere. I had 3 blueberry press's and they always remind me of Meredith's bachelorette party where we drank those pop-tart tasting drinks until they had to carry us out of the bar. They are pretty wonderful when they are made correctly. Then we made our way over to Sushi Neko and sat at the sushi bar and ate miso soup, edamame, and shared 3 rolls:
It was so good. Then we ended up talking to the people next to us for about 30 minutes. They had just moved to Oklahoma and were asking for recommendations on food and stuff to do. They were pretty interesting. Can I just saw how wonderful a feeling it is to get off work on Friday and go sit at a bar and drink and blow off steam and think about how great the weekend is going to be? There's such a moment of possibility and it's free from responsibility. Then Sunday night comes and it's the opposite.
Then I made my way back to Midwest City because I was running a 5k early in the morning. I haven't run an official race since the Memorial Marathon (except the Color Run but since it's not timed I'm not sure it counts) and I kind of signed up for this one on a whim because I wanted to know what my pace would be in a race atmosphere. I got up pretty early and milled around and ate some oatmeal and half a red velvet cupcake, which I definitely tried to justify by saying I needed the sugar.
I got to the race site and picked up my packet and walked around a bit. It was over by the library and so I parked my car and went and picked up my stuff and then brought it back to my car. It was cold and rainy and overcast so naturally it was perfect for running. The gun went off and we were gone!
I ran my first mile and wasn't sure of my pace until my app informed me that I had run a 9 minute mile. I was shocked. I really wanted to PR on this 5k so I pushed myself through the second mile and realized that I was running a VERY hilly course. I felt like the entire route was a giant hill. I got to the 3rd mile and slowed down quite a bit when an older guy passed me and was running in front of me a few paces and he turned around and yelled "Hey, come on I've been behind you the entire time, let's do this!" and I matched his pace for maybe about .15 miles. Then I slowed down because I was LITERALLY booking it up this huge hill. I let him go ahead of me and I slowed down again and then I realized how close I was to the finish line so I just booked it. I noticed the clock was on 33:45 and I REALLY wanted my time to be under 34 so I sprinted to the finish line. My gun time was 33:59 but my chip time was 33:49. That's so crazy to me because last year I could barely run a mile and a half. It was awesome. I really wanted someone there to be at the finish line for me but I guess you don't always get what you want.
I made my way up to the pancake breakfast and chowed down and talked to some very nice ladies that had also run the 5k. We talked about running and doing half marathons and they were really nice. I then realized my car was about a half a mile away at the library so I made the journey back to my car.
Here's me and my friend Christa who organized the run: (I've been trying the middle part lately, don't judge)
I went home and took a glorious nap with the windows open and it was nice a cool in my room in my parent's house. I started some laundry, ran some errands and my parent's and I had dinner that night at Charlestons. I was craving some of their awesome potato soup.
I now interrupt this blog to express my love for the movie Titanic. Is there really a better piece of film? The scenery, the story, the music, the special effects, KATE WINSLET for crying out loud. I went and saw Titanic in the Warren 3D IMAX and I literally do not think that will ever be topped. I could watch this movie for all of time if I was allowed.
Today I ran some errands, rid my car, sold some speakers on craigslist, and had a late lunch with my family and while I was on my way back to Edmond I stopped to see @A. Weekends go by too fast in my world nowadays! I'll see you guys soon again hopefully!
Mal xox



No comments:
Post a Comment