Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye, 2011.

This year has been one of the most confusing, challenging, and stressful years of my life. I can't believe that it has gone by so quickly. For the past few days I've been reflecting on where I was a year ago and so so much has changed. I started my full time job, I moved out on my own, I've given up on some college habits and now I'm really ready for my best life to begin.

Last year at this time, I just graduated college. I can't believe it's been a year since I graduated college.

I realize now how hard it is to make that transition. I used to think my older friends were blowing it out of proportion but a year has gone by and it truly was such a crazy time. Now I see my friends going through the same thing. I can talk to them and be there for them but it's not really going to matter - it's something you have to go through alone.

These few days at the end of the year are always so fun because all of my friends from college convene in Oklahoma City to be together for a few days and ring in the new year together. I love seeing everyone from my past and looking forward together as they change and grow and as I change and grow.

For some reason, New Years has been one of my favorite times because there's a bright sparkly year waiting for all of us when the clock strikes midnight. There's so much possibility in that one moment. It could be the year you win the lottery, or finally write the book you've always wanted to. It could be the year you run a marathon or fall in love. It's a chance to start over, to kick old habits and bring in new ones. Sure you can change any day of the year, but there's something so magical yet so human when we all decide to do it together.

I've learned so much about myself this past year and I'm so thankful that I have this little corner on the web to go back and see how much I've changed. I'm glad we (A & B) decided to stick with blogging and I'm lucky to go back and read where I was a year ago today (the worst hangover of my life, thanks to fourlokos. Is that still a thing?)

The best things about 2011 are kind of simple. KakaoTalk and the fact we have all the transcripts from it, the great music that came out and getting to go to Watch The Throne, thundering up with friends and via Twitter, growing up, my friends growing up, the relationships that have evolved throughout the year and the lessons I've learned from it. Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, running and loving it, Spotify, kicking the soda habit, Parks and Recreation, Tumblr, and the list could go on and on.

My new years resolutions last year were pretty basic, the main one being write more. I think I did do that, and although I didn't skydive, I was a part of a flashmob and I think I did simplify my life a lot comparatively. My resolutions this year are to drink more water, become the healthiest I can be, and always try to remind myself where I've been and how it can help me where I'm going.

I feel like there's great things around the corner and I always pray for purpose and direction in my life. I'm so thankful for God's hand protecting me and leading me where I need to go.

I hope everyone has a great New Years and takes this time to reflect on 2011. It was a good year, but 2012 will be even better.

Mal xoxo

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...