Saturday, September 3, 2011

My Hometown

First of all, let me say I love the new Blogger interface. But it's going to take some getting used to.

Second, I am currently typing on my parents computer in the small town of Choctaw, America. I'm waiting for my car to get new tires put on an aligned and I thought this might be a good time to talk about my hometown and what I love about it.

I know you're on the edge of your seats.

Last night I got a taste (or reminder) of what Choctaw is all about. Sometimes, living in Edmond I think my view of the world is skewed. Especially living about 2 minutes away from work/target/the gym I'm very spoiled because those things are so close. Also the people in Edmond are so much more snooty/classy/high matinence. After all, we do live in the #1 ranked Suburb in America. (And we still complain about everything. I don't get humans sometime)

But I'm not orginially from Edmond. I moved up there for school and now since I work there it's really the place I call home. Sidenote: and now that I've moved back close to campus I have not reason whatsoever to go "across the tracks" to east Edmond. Now that's snobby. I've gotten used to the $10 eyebrow waxing and starbucks coffee, and seeing Thunder players at the local Crest. (Do you think James Harden would ever set foot in the Del City Crest? I didn't think so) but whenever I come back to the "world of Choctaw" I'm always so suprised to see how different it is.  I've lived in the Choctaw area for around 10 years and there's a certain culture that goes along with it. Lets take a little tour of the "social norms" in Choctaw...

One Choctaw Colorist with a Bad Idea
Why does every single 17 year old have this hair color?


I mean, seriously? WHO'S EVERLOVING IDEA WAS IT TO DYE THEIR HAIR BLACK AND THEN PUT BLONDE STREAKS IN IT? About 70% of the female population has this hair style and it just looks awful. Please, please I will make the appointment at Cottonwood myself for you. 


An Excuse to Get Drunk

Does Choctaw have a large Germam population?

No.

Does Choctaw have one tiny German restuarant in the middle of nowhere that puts on a massive beer-drinking festival each year where thousands of Choctownians drink till their hearts desire?

Yes. 



Don't get me wrong. I love Oktoberfest. It's great. Good food, beer, dancing, music. But the downside? You see everyone from HS that you never wanted to see in your life. I literally forgot all their names. I HATE THAT. And they all expect you to remember them. Then you ask them how they're doing and they are all still in school trying to graduate (with their kids) and you're all like "yeah I work in Marketing and Education now" and they're all like "oh yeah that's cool" and then you're like "okay see you later" and they're like "okay bye" and you've gained NOTHING from that conversation. So like why put yourself through that torture.
It's actually great people watching. There was a girl there, literally with a whole sleeve tattoo of all the characters from the labyrinth. WHO DOES THAT?

People Who Are From Choctaw and People Who are FROM Choctaw

It's weird. I guess there's some sort of space-time continum that is nearly impossible to leave. I guess it's like this in every town, but there are some people I went to HS with that have never left. I don't know if people peaked in high school and never wanted to leave, but they are all still here, with blonde hair and black highlights, drinking at Oktoberfest and reliving their glory days while they get their associates here:


Not knocking commuity college- I work in Education and I know how important high ed is - but the people that go to Rose barely get out. I'm so glad that I went to a 4-year institution and MOVED away. I think that was so good. There's another type of UCO/Edmond folk that never get out - but that's a post for another day.


 A Short List Of Things I Like About Choctaw

  • Dude's Hambugers (RIP)
  • Driving at night, and the smell. The air is so much cleaner than OKC
  • Choctaw Drama and being an Alum of that program
  • The way people are all the same

I had a great time living in Choctaw, (and I still keep in contact with SOME friends from HS) but I love Edmond so much more. It was nice to come back and see how things really stay the same. I've come so far since HS and it's good to be reminded of that.

Ciao,
Mal xoxo



1 comment:

Cara said...

Thanks for the dinner advice...I might have to try that! It sounds easy!

I miss Choctaw and its simplicity. Sometimes it's nice to go back and just drive around with the windows down and blast Michael Tolcher or Gavin DeGraw or Jack Johnson.

Flashback to the two of us driving around with "Sitting Waiting Wishing" on repeat and then you yelling at the dang Midwest City Pool. :) Miss you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...