Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What I Don't Understand About Valentine's Day...

So I just read this article: (The Only Thing Worse Than Valentine's Day) here's a quote that captures the essence of the article:

"However, the reaction to these sentiments is just as knee-jerk and trite. Hating Valentine's Day is a sad fucking cliche. On the outside its says, "I hate the corporate structure that built this shitty holiday" and "I'm doing fine on my own, thank you," but what it says on the inside is, "I am so sick of not having the validation of someone in my life that I need to rebel against this thing or I am going to wither away like a dried toe nail clipping in the garbage." These people think that they are going to do something to change the couple-centric world that we live in, but all that they're doing is giving credence to it. It's like scowling at the concept but sneaking handfuls of chalky conversation hearts while all their fellow black-wearers go to change The Smiths record."

and as all good writing does, it got me thinking. What is it about Valentine's Day that makes people hate it so much? I don't think that there is any other holiday with as much anger and contentment than this one. Of course, February is like the worst month to host any holiday because of the crappy weather and everyone failing at their New Years Resolutions, but other than that, what's so bad? It's an excuse to consume wine and chocolate and eat fancy dinners without any apologies. Your parents always get you something (even if it's like 5 bucks and a card) because they feel bad for you and there's lots of chick flick marathons on TV.

I personally enjoy the holiday. I like chocolate.

I just don't get it. Just because someone doesn't have a S.O., automatically means that they are offended by the holiday. Just because I'm not a father doesn't mean I get offended by Father's Day. And maybe I've never been the president of anything but that doesn't mean I lay in my bed and sob on the 15th of February.

Maybe it's me. I live with 30, beautiful amazing un-frumpy women and they are all wondering why no one has sent them flowers on VDay. Maybe it's because the lack of socially acceptable men that attend our fine institution. Maybe it's because we're all broke and flowers are like 60 dollars especially around the holidays. Maybe it's because we're only 21, and no one really needs to commit to a long term relationship right now. It could be all of those reasons. But it's NOT because my sorority sisters are undeserving of someone that loves them unconditionally.

I don't know about you, but I'm going to have a great Valentine's Day, surrounded by the people that I love, wizard rock, and tequila shots.

Malory

1 comment:

britneymaeve said...

you have like, the BEST attitude ever. i love you so!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...