Thursday, May 6, 2010

What Can You Do With a BA in English?

We still haven't gotten word on whether or not we got the rental house we applied for. I don't want to talk about it. It's making me nervous.

So in lieu of that major road block in my life, I'd like to talk about something else that makes me nervous. There is an 8-word question in the English language that makes my hair curl. I don't like answering it, but I ask it all the time. Whenever I tell people that I am a Creative Studies major, they always reply with:

"What do you want to do with that?"

The truth is: I HAVE NO IDEA. STOP ASKING ME, PEOPLE!

I've decided that this is my problem. I am an eclectic person. I like all different types of things, learning about all different types of things, music, history, technology, writing, performance art, singing, acting, tap-dancing, dolphin training, film, books, alcohol (seriously, I would love to own a liquor store or become a wine connoisseur), university student affairs, teaching, government, animals... and the list goes on and on. Here is my question. If it's hard for me to pick one thing to be REALLY interested in, then how am I supposed to narrow down MY WHOLE LIFE towards one goal? I admire the doctors and lawyers of the world but the truth is that I will never be one of those people. My personality reminds me of this book:

In this book, Malcom Gladwell talks about the three types of people it takes to create a fad, a revolution, what it takes to spread a disease, etc. There are three types, the connector, the salesman, and the maven. I am definitely a maven. A maven is someone that knows (or attempts) to know a little bit about everything. I'd like to think that I don't box myself in when it comes all aspects of life. And this is why I've never been able to commit to a career, a church, a boyfriend. It's not a bad thing that I'm a maven, but it's something that I've learned I need to work around.

Okay, Okay. I know what you're thinking. "That's all well and good but what do you really want to do with that English degree?" Number one on my list? Travel. So after I jump through that hoop, we'll see what's next for me in my life.

Until next time,

Mal xoxo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...