I also believe that everyone should be on a waitstaff in a restaurant at some point in their lives, or else know how to TREAT a waitstaff when they eat at a restaurant.
This post is a product of my reflections as a Server in a popular Italian restaurant. I've been waitressing for about 6 months and I've definitely learned A LOT about the food industry, sociology, how to multi-task and how to treat waiters and waitresses whenever I go out to eat. Lately our restaurant has been really busy because we're located in the south wing of a popular shopping mall and you guessed it - it's Christmas season. Non-stop shoppers, all day long. It's been stressful but definitely lucrative.
THINGS I DON'T LIKE ABOUT WAITRESSING
- Getting stiffed on a tip.
- Rude teenagers that have probably never had a job before- making you run all over and then leaving you less than 10%
- Sidework, rolling silverware and cleaning.
- You can't be hung over and wait tables.
- When it's slow and you're just bored.
- How unsteady the money flow is.
THINGS I LIKE ABOUT WAITRESSING
- Cute kids that come in and it's their birthday, and so you work harder to make it extra special.
- Whenever our head cook makes us yummy treats like fried rice, soup and lets us eat different desserts.
- All the inside jokes that the servers have and different phrases mean NOTHING to anyone that doesn't work there.
- The regulars - enough said, the good AND the bad.
- Knowing that at the end of the day, you worked your ass off and deserved every single penny that you earned- and actually having the cash money in your pocket.
I like waiting tables for the most part, and will probably keep doing it for awhile to make money while I'm traveling. It's easy fast money, and I love the people.
Mal xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment