While browsing through my blog today, I came across this
little gem of a quote:
"Whenever you tell someone you've graduated college,
and they say "Welcome to the real world", it really bugs me. Are they
assuming that my world for the past 22 years has been unreal? Are they hoping
that it will suddenly occur to me that I've been living in a dreamworld since I
was born? Because it's not going to happen. The earth didn't implode as I
walked across the stage in my cap and gown, and I'm still learning from life
every single day - just without those pesky professors and long research
papers. Shouldn't that make my life better?"
-Sweet, naive me, January 2011.
My, have things changed.
Right now I'm eating my hat.
I'm the pot, calling the kettle black.
I'm eating a spoonful of crow. (Is that right?)
I was wrong.
November 1st I will have been gainfully employed full-time
in my first "grown up" job for 6 months. And as much as I hated when
people would tell me that being out of college and working full-time is a
different world, I know now that it is.
And I really really hated when people told me that.
But as much as I hate to admit it, they were right.
I think back to the time frame that I wrote that blog entry.
I was on a DisneyWorld high, I had just made bank at the restaurant during the
Christmas season, I was paying $270 dollars for rent A MONTH and I had a great
time galavanting around Edmond and Oklahoma City, eating fancy sushi dinners
and drinking wine and going on dates....
Sidenote: Now that I think about that season of my life, all
of the girls that I lived with were having kind of a crazy time. Maybe my
behavior was the product of my environment.
Now that I have been in my job 6 months I realize that I
have joined a new league of adult.
I have to go to bed at a decent time, I have to shower every
day, I have to wear professional clothes.
I have to pay my rent, bills, and I have to pay for my car
whenever it breaks down (before my parents were taking care of my $600 car bill
for new brakes. Now I have to pay it when it overheats and stops in the middle
of the road).
I can't go on vacation to Destin or College Station whenever
I so choose and I have to budget my money and learn how to succeed in my job
and make my co-workers happy. There's so much to balance and take care of that
it's overwhelming at times.
But honestly, this is going to mean NOTHING to anyone that
hasn't joined the "Real World".
You could have stood in front of me with a chainsaw and I
wouldn't have changed my mind. (I don't know what you would have done with the
chainsaw but you get the general idea)
Not saying that being grown-up is a bad thing. It's not.
It's just - different. I have different expectations and standards of myself as
an employee, a friend, a daughter and a woman.
I have more self respect and I may not know what I want out
of life but I sure as hell know what I don't want.
It's funny how much I've changed since this time last year.
I'm glad I have the sense and the time and the need to reflect on who I am and
who I am becoming as a person.
And although the "The Real World" sucks at times,
I wouldn't be anywhere else.
Mal xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment