Thursday, August 2, 2012

At The Beach, We Come Undone

When I was in the 8th grade, I was a part of a Junior High Drama class. (Don't worry this post isn't revisiting what I was like in the 8th grade because DAMN that might be pretty scary) One of our assignments was to write a persuasive speech about something and then present it to the class. They were to be about 10 minutes long and then there was a time after the speech for questions from the class. I don't quite remember what mine was about, but I'm sure there were speeches about gun control, abortion, and gay rights.

What do 14-year-olds really know about those topics anyway? This was before Wikipedia! I digress.

There was one student though, who gave a speech about LGBT rights. His older sister was a lesbian, and he stuck up for her, and wanted her to have the same rights as everyone else. To be able to attend her wedding. This was in 2001. Over 10 years ago. I remember everyone in the class ridiculed him. When they asked questions, they were not so much questions but insults and unimaginative arguments. I remember one student stood up and yelled "In the Bible it's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve!" Primitive, but it made sense in my 13 year old brain. I nodded along silently.

I've been thinking, (dangerous, right?) for awhile now. I've been thinking about chicken, about Facebook, about my friends, about the Internet, about socialism, about gay marriage and about waffle fries. I've been tossing and turning and debating it in my head in the shower, with co-workers, reading Tweets, so on and so on. I think the reason that this debate bothers me so much is that I'm really confused on what to do. What stance to take. Whether I should go ahead and order the #3 with no pickle or give up my favorite fast food all together. Does it even matter what stance a multi-million dollar corporation takes? Should I make jokes about it? Will people think it's funny or just over done?

Last night I called my mom to complain (mainly about Olympic tape delay but w/e) and I said "Everyone's an idiot with an idiot opinion." And she agreed with me, but also let me know gently that for everyone that made a silent protest against the rights of other humans there were 15 people like me that ate at Qdoba for lunch.

I started thinking about all the people that I love that are LGBT. Some of my best friends growing up were gay. I did Theater throughout Junior High and High School. Instead of summer camp I went to Musical Theatre Camp. Most of them were out and proud around us. I learned so much from these friends. Most importantly, how to do a correct jazz square. They dipped in and out of my life but I loved them all and accepted them as who they were.

I have one close friend, from college, and I had known him years before he came out to me. He sat across the table from me at McAlisters a few winters ago and told me that he was gay. I was overcome with emotion and immediately started crying like a bitch. Not because I was sad but because I was happy for him. Finally, this amazing, positive loving force in my life could be his full and complete self. Relationships are such an important part of college and he couldn't ever share that with me. But now that he was secure enough to let his friends and family know who he was he is a totally different person. And I wish that for everyone that is struggling with this issue. I want everyone to be their full and complete selves.

The reason this debate is so publicized is because it's easy. It's really easy to get in your car, order chicken, pay your money and oh yeah, also silently vote for fundamental Christian values. We've boiled it down to something as simple as a Facebook status. When, it's not. It's not that simple. It's not that black and white, I know that.

But it is. Appearance is everything. Perception is everything.

Chick-Fil-A has never been quiet about the things their company is built upon. Neither have my friends or the people I love. I respect their opinions and agree to disagree. But I'm not handing my friends $7 once a week and telling them to donate to a cause that I don't believe in. So that's why I have decided I'm not going to eat there anymore. (Goodbye salty crispy hot waffle fries. I will miss u but not ur calories)

I didn't stand up for my classmate in the 8th grade. I didn't agree with him or speak up or even approach him after to tell him how I felt. But I am standing up for what I believe in now.

Mal xoxo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...