Sunday, April 3, 2011

On Music

This morning I woke up, turned my iPod on, and had a mini-dance party in my room.

I recommend this way of getting up to anyone and everyone that I know. I knew as I was driving to church that my post today would be about music. Everyone loves music - it's just something that is a universal magic that we get with being alive. I thought about what I wanted to write about and I decided to make a list* of not my favorite songs, per say, but the songs that I believe define my life. The songs that are most strongly tied to my dearest memories. I texted my friends that know me musically** and asked them what songs reminded them of me. Suprisingly none of the songs on this list were songs that they said. I don't know what that says, but these songs were the ones that stuck out in my mind.

(Right click and save to download individual songs, and at the end you can download all of them)

The Little Mermaid was (and still is) my ultimate favorite Disney movie. I loved it when I was little, and basically wanted to be a mermaid when I grew up. Jodi Benson was the reason I wanted to sing. This song defines so much of my childhood - I sang it at the lake, on the beach, in the bathtub, and was probably one of the first songs I knew all of the words to. Hands down favorite Disney song and that will never change.

The funny thing about this song is that I don't know if the words affect me as much as the memories tied to listening to it. Summer nights when I was in high school, driving around Choctaw at night just to get away from my parents and putting it on mix CD's for my friends and us all singing along. I'm not sure I understand the words, but it's okay - because She Doesn't Get It.

For a long time I claimed this as my lifesong. I think you'll have to listen to it to get why. There's not much I can even say about this song, it speaks for itself.

Of course, I have to have the song that reminds me of my first boyfriend. We shared a lot of music, and if it wasn't THE cornerstone of our relationship, it was awfully close. He played the song for me once and I think HE thought that's how I thought about him. I agree, he was really hard to figure out, and to this day I don't think I could fully tell you the color of his eyes. But I still love this song because that was a very sweet time in my life, and I'll never forget my first love.

I remember the first time that I heard this song. It was summer, and I was driving down Reno, and I knew that I would love this song for the rest of my life. I think it's about the power of music - music so good that you have to write music about it. It's also about taking a chance in your life- and how good it feels when you finally do. This might be my favorite song of all time.

So those are the 5 songs that mean a lot to me - I hope you download and give them a listen because you might love them too! Until tomorrow -

Mal xoxo

* @bryce
** Michael Goodman, Sarah Rakowski, Sara King, Bryce Wallar, Mom

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...