I've spent about a year freaking out about what happens after graduation. I am the first of my group of close friends to graduate college. Yes, I have older friends but I don't see them often, or talk to them often so I felt like I was truly the pioneer in this case. Graduating college is an experience unlike any other. Now that a few of my close friends are graduating they ask me for advice - or ask me just for an open ear and all I can say to them is it can't be explained.
The good things that are happening right now, I feel have been a long time coming. I've spent the last 8 or so months trying to deal with this transition, in the form of chocolate, vodka, and riding in cars with boys. And now that it's finally here, I feel like I'm maybe coming out of a dark tunnel into the sunlight. It feels great.
- I'm starting my first full time job May 1st. With a salary, benefits, vacation, and tuition reimbursement. I've been in the office about 4 years (majority of college) and there was a job opening so I was promoted. I'm very lucky and blessed to have this opportunity to work on campus and have a smooth transition into "adulthood"? I guess? I don't feel like I'm an adult, but I guess this is the first step. And I'm done waiting tables. And I have my own office. It's cute.
- I'm moving out on my own. This is a big one. For the last 5 years I've had a roommate(s) and now I'm moving into my own little house/garage apt at the end of April. I am going to be sad to leave my girls, but I feel like this is the right step for me right now. I am going to be able to walk to work (which is a huge plus considering right now I live about 20 minutes with Edmond traffic away from UCO and 25 mins away from Pep Grill so gas is seriously killing me) and be able to bike around Edmond - to my Yoga studio and the Farmers Market. I really love the neighborhood I'm moving into - a lot of old houses and history (I might be living on an indian burial ground) which is what I really love. My parents are also really excited and super proud. It was just happenstance that I found this great place - and further affirmation that sometimes things just fall into your lap. I'm really lucky.
- I'm joining a church. A Unitarian Church in OKC that I have been going to on and off for a few years now. My relationship with the world/universe/God is definitely a work in progress and being spiritual is something totally new to me. I really like going on Sunday mornings. It's a very traditional service with very liberal views, which is perfect for me. I'm taking classes this month to learn more about it with the opportunity to join at the end of those classes. We'll see how it goes. I'm really excited about it.
So that's what's going on the month - it's a lot but I'm really ready for it.
Mal xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment