Wednesday, April 6, 2011

On Writing


(Tina Fey on jumping in)

So this morning I've been thinking about writing. What I like to write, what it means to be a writer, poetry, the poets I love and the writers I love. I never really imagined myself to be a writer until halfway through college - even though I was essentially getting a Writing degree.

Whenever I started to write skits for FNL, and began excelling in my Poetry classes is when I really realized that 1. I like to write 2. I was maybe semi-good at it. Then when my sorority sisters started paying me to write things for them I kind of took pride in that. I put flyers up around the sorority house offering "ghost writing" services.

But the thing about it is I have absolutely no self-discipline. I don't think I've written a poem in about a year. I've read poetry, and I've watched YouTube videos of poets, and I've been to open mic nights but I lack the motivation to sit down and actually do it.

The reason I think why is it really opens up my mind to what's going on with ME and that's a scary thing. The spring after Summer 2009 I took Creating the Poem with my teacher, Doug for the second time, and my chapbook revealed someone who was hurt and alone - and I hadn't realized all of my actions that summer were spurred off of those feelings. It was an eye opening experience, because sometimes it's easier to ignore the hard things that happen in your life.

I'm not saying writers ARE better people than non-writers, but I definitely think they know themselves better.

But I think this whole BEDA thing is helping for sure. This summer I plan on doing a lot of writing, once everything calms down and I get into a routine. I'm actually excited! Who knows what's next... maybe and MFA? Only time will tell.

Mal xoxo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...